Random thoughts that are almost always about video games

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Last Minute MGS4 Speculation

Along with the advanced AI I wrote about in my previous post, I've got one more guess about MGS4's true nature before the "big reveal" at TGS next week.

Okay, dig this --

At E3, MGS mastermind Hideo Kojima told me that he'd placed clues in the game's E3 teaser (you know, the funny one with everyone sitting in chairs?) -- clues that could be used to figure out what MGS4 is all about. After watching the teaser over and over, the only thing I can figure is that the game will take place in a warzone.

I mean a "soldiers are shooting at each other, bombs are falling and crap keeps blowing up all around me" type of setting. This would fit with the game's theme of "nowhere to hide", and it meshes well with Kojima's hints about an environment that can change, where you can't take anything for granted. Imagine trying to sneak around city streets and through rubble while fighting is going on all around you -- and if Snake is seen, then *he* becomes the target.

My reason for thinking this comes from the very beginning of the E3 teaser. Snake peeks around a wall at a group of soldiers that are *already in combat*, and they don't notice him until the wall Snake is hiding behind gets bombed away.

Well, I'll admit that it's a bit of a stretch, but I just had to put the idea up here, on the off chance that I'm onto something.

I'm so excited to see this game that I can't stand it anymore! :)

--Chris