Random thoughts that are almost always about video games

Monday, January 02, 2006

Crazy, Crazy, Crazy

The Holidays have blown by, leaving my head spinning while I dazily look forward to a new year of gaming goodness. Top of the list for me is the new Zelda, the full E3 unveiling of the PlayStation 3, the Nintendo Revolution, and a better look at the second wave of big Xbox 360 games that (from what people in the know have told me) look jaw-droppingly better than the launch titles. Keep an eye out for the next showing of Gears of War, especially.

Not long before the break I found out that I'm going to be a dad! My lovely wife and I had hoped to have a kid sometime next summer, so it's worked out great. Now the only question is whether I'll have a little boy or girl sitting next to me on the couch, laying down cover fire while I storm enemy territory :)

I got to spend a lot of time playing the 360 lately, especially Ridge Racer 6. Out of a launch lineup that I think is pretty darn solid, this game has surprised me by sticking out as my favorite. While it isn't the most ambitious 360 game, it's a hell of a lot of fun at the faster speed classes. And racing online is totally addictive. Nothing against PGR3 fans -- your game is certainly nicer looking -- but I'd rather play a faster-paced racing game where I'm not crashing into every corner (I suck at realistic racers).

I also had time to play through Prince of Persia 3. Great game -- probably the most polished PoP to date -- but for me, it had a real sense of "been there, done that." Hopefully, if there's ever a part 4, they'll make some drastic changes to freshen the series up. Tomb Raider Legend, by the way, is looking very nice. I got to try it out right before the break and it's coming along fine. Still some rough spots to iron out, but it's got a long way to go.

Next up: I'm finally going to tackle Kameo (it looks fantastic, two chapters in).

--Chris

PS: As always, I'll try to put up better (and more timely) posts soon, but my work schedule often tends to get in the way. Thanks for checking back, even when there's not much new to see :)